There are a number of support groups that meet in the Leicester / Leicestershire area.
Please click on the map locations to find out more details.
- LAFs (Leicestershire Adopters and Foster carers Support): A peer support group for adopters, foster carers and special guardians. Twitter: @LAFSgroup, email: . You need to be referred by your social worker or an existing member. LAFS provides:
- Events, activities and meet ups for parents/carers and for families
- Daily peer support via LAFS secret Facebook group
- Working with local providers to help improve services for families
- Job 29:12 national Facebook group for Christian foster carers and adopters – please contact Home for Good (www.homeforgood.org.uk ) for more information
- Special Guardians in Leicestershire – peer support network, can be found here: www.facebook.com/groups/226771768010284/?fref=gs&dti=827917837299306&hc_location=group
Run by a local special guardian, this group provides a safe place to talk and meet others who are in a similar situation who can offer support and advice.
I don’t know about you but I can learn so much from other foster carers and adopters! Over a strong cup of coffee and usually some form of sweet treat, I can share my problems, get ideas and generally feel much better about life as a looker afterer of lovely, if exhausting, children!
Wouldn’t it be great if all foster carers and adopters in Leicester could get this kind of support?
In 2019 Home for Good Leicester will be running a series of networking events to bring together foster carers. The aim is to meet, form friendships and informal mentoring links so that people can get connected. The next event will take place in May – email to receive further details.